Sunday, September 12, 2004

A few things I wish I knew

So, where to begin? That's the first thing I wish I knew: I made myself smile, here!

Yesterday,at the Birmingham's Arts Fest, there were plenty of people milling around, and I didn't feel in any way distracted by them or resentful (cf The Garden Show of last Saturday). Live music was being played, may be that's why I didn't feel bad? 1st tentative answer, ok!

This morning, on my way to meditation class, there was a slither crescent moon in the sky. Why should that be so moving? ...Don't know!
Why should dawn be such a truly magical time. (Please notice that, due to general abuse, the word magical must now be qualified by an absolute in order to "register" properly...)... Don't know!
Why, when you know that soon light will break and that you will be in full daylight again do you always miss the time when it's just about to...Every time. ... Really can't work that one out!

But mainly, has anyone else noticed the ubiquity of that most disconcerting of objects, namely ONE perfectly good shoe, -or boot, or trainer- found discarded along the highway. I have been trying to avoid thinking about it, but the 5.30am pale green leather,rather pretty,high heeled,right foot,sling back finally got to me. I now imagine the most ridiculous scenario: woman with wooden leg walking home, gets fed up with the noise made by the high heels on the tarmac and kicks that one shoe off, so as to reduce the nuisance by half , -since the wooden leg has an antislip rubber coating on the bottom. ( I am trying to chase away the thoughts of an attack on that poor now one-shoed woman, and as you can see, not making a very job of it!)
And then, what about the smart grey trainer...Couldn't stand the bad smell of the left foot of its owner? I wish I knew if a person's two feet can have different smells!, or perhaps, he was just the more daring of the two trainers, the one that got away so to speak?...

Seriously though, I AM telling you the truth when I say that I see single (GOOD) shoes of every type discarded on the highway almost every day... That can't be right!

If anyone knows what this is about, pray do tell!

I'm off to count my collection of footwear two by two! (just in case...)

Have yourselves a worry-free Sunday,

Jocelyne

P.S. It's on days like this that I wish I had a digital camera: Moon crescent on Birmingham skyscape; Pretty shoe, forlorn on tarmac; Bewildered yours truly, wide eyes and quizzical...(Photos I would have posted if I had a camera. As it is I must trust your imagination)

P.P.S. Wonderful exhibition, look at www.earthfromtheair.com and tell me what you think -if you want to, of course.

3 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

Earth from the air is a truly remarkable exhibition - makes Birmingham City Centre a (and this should qualify) magical place to walk through. And though I am thoroughly opposed to commercial sponsorship, I thought in this case, Bird's Eye was a brilliant choice!

9:01 pm  
Blogger jocelyne said...

Yes Paul! Thanks for agreeing and yes about Bird's eyes too (Cleverrr)

But what about the shoes????

10:43 pm  
Blogger jocelyne said...

Thanks for enlightening me 'bout the lone shoes! and thanks for the sites, will check them out as and when....

12:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home