Thursday, August 26, 2004

I did tell you I would be quiet for a bit, and twice, by the looks of things!

Well it's been a nice long holiday, just on the edge of the blogging world.
I have dipped in and out of others'lives, without feeling too pulled by the writing bug on my own account. Not many things have happened to me, and yet, of course a zillion things have been happening.

The most peculiar of these, is the notion that I have become an athlete over the past few days....When I get up, my stride reminds me of the hyped getting going, rocking of the long jumpers....
When I go up the stairs I am on the diving boards...In the supermarkets, I am walking for England.
Since I also have been practising archery and shooting, my eyes have become that little bit sharper, and I have developed a knowing look, gazing in the distance. As I am not too keen on watersports, for myself, I haven't done too much by way of beating the waters, but , under the shower, I have had the odd feeling that I had just accomplished a marvelous 1 1/2 spike, somersault twisted froppy....(I know, that's not the proper name, but you will get my drift, I am sure!), and I need to get my little bit of cloth nicely rinsed before the next dive...not to mention my hair (flick, flick; flick of wet hair away from eyes)
I have been up and down podiums (should it be podia?????), while attempting to cut the top of my garden hedge on a step ladder. I have waved at crowds, sobbed with winners and losers in equal measure.

Altogether, I am having a GRAND olympics. "She is looking like the favorite" ; "That might be the end of his career" ;"He flew in"; "It's a personal best, you can't ask for more than that": you take your pick.

I have NOT managed to go interactive, even though I think I should be able to, as I have a little remote with all coloured buttons...but who cares, I get plenty enough of the action as you can see!

Things I like the least:
The way female gymnasts throw their torsos upward and back and look all disjointed. I have tried to do it, and trust me it cannot be done with this particular body of mine. Mind you I can't even clasp my hands behind my back at this time, so there....

Things I like best:
-the blue and white logo with the olive branch.
-the costumes of the medals bearers
-the laurel crowns for the winners
-the explanations before each obscure event
-the wonderful shoes they've all got
-the language of superlatives....I just love it!
I also love it when Sally Gunnell (is that the name?) interviews folk who have just missed getting a medal and congratulates them on having done really well...

I love the smiles of delight, the frowns, the determination, the dramas, the hairdos, the sagas.

But best of all I love all the athletes' names: Chehibi...Gabreselasie...Huang, Pickeltof, Soos, Kipketer...aaahh...you couldn't make them up (I just did, two of them!)

I'll probably write a bit more about the Olympics and me, when I have bagged my third medal. But Have I Got What It Takes????...Marvellous, isn't it?

Jumpy, throwy, runny, swimmy, gymny kind of greetings

Back soon (if I can find my performance form),

Jocelyne

PS "Massive personal best", "his best", "one and two", "united states on the inside", "qualify for the finals" blah blah...on and on it goes..."7/100th of a second off the record" etc, ect...I think I am addicted to the language..."Great tradition in the long jump", "just over the qualification line" Help!

4 Comments:

Blogger nique said...

Hilarious! I have been randomly sifting through blogs (as my job is less than interesting) and luckily stopped here for a visit! This is too funny! Very creatively written and I can't help but identify with you. Thanks for the smiles!
I wish the olympics didn't have to end! It is much more entertaining than the ridiculousness of the States obsession with "reality tv." Aaargh!

8:39 pm  
Blogger paul said...

Very funny! And I also empathise - I'll miss the 'lympics when they're done.

11:34 pm  
Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

Brilliant! Just when I thought I couldn't bear to read another post about the Olympics, along comes this little gem...

To you I award the Gold Medal for Best Capturing The Spirit of the Olympic Games As Seen By The Common Man. By far one of your best performances this season! Congratulations!

5:39 pm  
Blogger jocelyne said...

Hey! That HAS cheered me even more than my victory in the xxxxmeters double trebble jumpy somersault!

But honestly I DID get fitter while watching all that stuff- no time for snacking I guess...

Thank you very much for my award. I now would like to thank the following... (see next blog!)

9:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home