Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Not controversial enough?

I think that my blog is not controversial /trendy enough. For me, the fun of being involved in a Blog lies not only in the writing, which I could just as well do on my own on a pretty organic-banana-paper journal with purple ink from a dainty fountain pen.(..mmm...appealing!....), but in sharing ideas with a wider and, for the most part, undefined group of people.

I make a point of reacting to the blogs I read, and I have grown quite fond of two or three individuals, almost as much  for the exchanges through comments than for the logs themselves.  It's like finding the proverbial needle in the hay stack, finding folks with like minds, like humour, like values and so on.. I did get excellent guidance from Paul ("is this a good idea?" Paul, who most of you will know is my excellent son). 

And although he does keep telling me that comments aren't  "the point"... and so did one of his friends, who said she always reads "grasping the nettle", but doesn't comment(....a wink to you, you know who you are), still I wonder if the dearth of comments on my efforts is due to the fact that I am supremely inoffensive,  do not write on controversial topics, and can be accused, at worse of being whimsical.

So, I now think that every one who reads this SHOULD comment on:
A) how well I write English, given that it is not my mother tongue
B) how funny my ideas are and/or
C) how lovely the landscapes I write make them  feel . 
The delicate nature  of my intellect should also have been taken note of , even though I do berate it occasionally. 

If not, I might start swearing, ranting on about politics, pretend that I take drugs or drink too much coffee, listen to modern music, believe in corporal punishment, am a racist .... wait a minute....I most absolutely draw the line there!

The real truth is: I have become  a "has been"! I have done a lot of controversial and also a lot of brave things in my life, but now, it's kind of "curtains" for most of them. The plot of my life has changed drastically with  my choosing a  spiritual path,- a choice which coincides very conveniently with the onset of old(er) age and the physical limitations this and my poor state of health brings . Like "good" people, and older people everywhere, I have become a bit boring.

Although, of course, it is a paradox  that the life of the spirit is a million times  more interesting that that of "gross matter"...but perhaps only so for  those who actively pursue it.

So, no aerobies in the park for me:-) , no new jobs to delight in;-), no trips for big adventurous holidays:-), no touching family snapshots of my babies;-)  no wonder ! :-(

And yet a wonder of every moment! I am pleased that I have travelled much , loved a lot, climbed some serious mountains, swam rivers (only litttle ones, swimming, not my thing...), thrown the best parties ever(yeah!), learnt to play a few songs on the guitar, sung endlessly. Pleased that althoughI am no longer doing these things, I know how to dig a garden, shape a privet hedge, count my money, sew, dance, paint. I can embroider and I can ride a bicycle great distances. I have the gift of friendship, the gift of joy, the gift of empathy and of compassion.

See? Not controversial at all...

More controversial might be that I seem to Blog-connect mainly with young men...In my head, and in spite of my "ordinary" woman-ness, I have always BEEN a young man. Go figure! And I promise you I am not even a bit schizophrenic ( I have had to look the word up in the dictionnary, which goes to prove!).

Well if this does not get you commenting, it should at least be confusing enough to change that blasted advert for drainers and various other sink related objects.... I live in hope!

Love, regardless,

Jocelyne

 

4 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

As promised in an earlier comment " I really liked that post. "

11:38 pm  
Blogger Phill said...

I would comment on more blogs (like yours) if I had more time. Sadly I have to devote my days to interviewing old ladies from church groups and the like, so less time for blogs...
In terms of comments to time ratio, I think I do quite well...
As for being controversial - it's not that cool believe me...i've been banned from every table football venue in the country due to my weblog...this is the price to pay for being controversial!

5:36 pm  
Blogger jocelyne said...

Oh, Sorry Phil, I didn't mean you, (or Paul, either). But Yep, it sure does take time to write all this stuff. And another thing: interviewing old ladies from church, commenting on my blog...not all that much difference really?
I'm ace at "babyfoot" due a youth mispent in the backroom of French cafes with boys like Joe Tribiani (only the French version), listening to Nights in White Satin and Good Vibrations and such like...so I could disguise myself as you and take your place in tournaments, and still you would win some trophies etc....just a thought...;-)

6:54 pm  
Blogger torfeida said...

I find it refreshing reading a blog which doesn't complain about politics all the time! Helps the reader get away from it all :)

10:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home