Thursday, July 29, 2004

no more complaining!

That's it! I am pleased to announce that, as of to-day, there will be no more complaining on this blog. I am going to be happy with whatever happens, comments or not, and adverts for cheap appliances or not! In fact I would go even further and apologise humbly and profusely for my most recent case of the grumbles...I think it's when I don't feel too good and the world seems to recede as I stay put at home for days on end, that the moaning grabs me. Well it ain't gonna get me no more!

Better things to do I think!

Although at this precise moment I have little to say, save to reflect on the evocative power of words once more. It goes like this for me:
1) have a feeling, a "touching", an "inkling" about something.
2) ask brain what words or images might evoke that feeling in others.
3) write down what brain says to share with others.

That's because I am blessed with an oversize language center up top. As a little girl I would invent dozens of words which everyone around recognised because of the logic of their construction but which didn't exist...Since this greatly amused the young adults who brought me up (when my mum and dad were Paul's age, I was 9 years old already), I suppose this linguistic playfulness got reinforced and became a habitual behaviour. Also as a child, I chose to be a devout catholic, confessing to things that I didn't even know existed , lovely words like adultery and covetedness*, which I reeled out from the back of the "missel" to a rather splendid priest who encouraged my interest in the Latin of the liturgy (this point being the other link with linguistics).

At school I studied English and Italian, which I continued at university. Depending on the journey at hand and the friends I made, I have variously dabbled in: Greek, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish, Latvian, Japanese, Shona in Zimbabwe and now Hindi. But I regret to say that, blessed up top or not, it all disappears when you don't use it, only to come back from retirement if severely pressed. At the wedding of our Zimbabwean friends I found myself understanding the speeches, of which there were very many!, after about the fifth one, when the aunt with the serious religious bias started quoting the scriptures. Nothing like a bit of background to fill in the memory gaps!

Well, this is most interesting for me, but I'm not so sure about anyone else....and so a further helping of apologies is presently dished out, just before I go and have a lovely cup of tea, with Djellabis(SP?) given to me by our meditation teacher this morning to make me feel better about being unwell, I think, and having had to miss so many classes recently.

So until the poem I was going to write here comes back to my mind,

Love, Regards and Namaste,

Jocelyne

2 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

Jalebi? That's how it used to be spelt in the windows of balti-houses and indian sweetshops on Ladypool Rd...

9:13 pm  
Blogger torfeida said...

"it all disappears when you don't use it"So true! My Mum is from Canada is a French teacher, so from about the age of 5 until I left primary school I was learning French from her. I got to the stage where I was able to speak it with some fluency.

Unfortunately, it's been 6 years since I used it, and now I'm back to where I started - not being able to say much at all...Where'd it all go?! :(

10:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home