Saturday, December 04, 2004

More gratitude!

Paul has installed a counter on my blog...to stop me being paranoid! Nice of him I thought....He also put a few links to a few blogs, so I can repay the compliment to those who kindly link me into theirs....(Sorry for the delay, by the way: I still haven't a clue how it is done! So any body I missed out...please let Paul know on http://isthisagoodidea.blogspot.com/Here endeth the linking knowledge)

Went to the cinema to see the biopic of Boby Darin's life with Kevin Spacey, and I understood the plot, and enjoyed the film. (May be I'll write more about it at a later date...) But then, my friend Danièle came round, and we both watched a French film called "Les Passeurs" about men and women who risked their own life helping others cross the border into Switzerland over the mountains during the 2nd world war. My grand-dad had been a "passeur" in the Jura, and Danièle's dad had escaped from PoW camp and crossed France on foot to end up in a "neutral"camp in Switzerland -which he also escaped from in order to join the Maquis.
So you would think we had enough interest in, and knowledge of, the subject matter of the film to understand the plot? Not a bit of it. Fortunately our blind spots not being the same we managed to unravel some of the major themes and fill each other in at times. We also had the luxury of being able to rewind the video to see what vital clues we both missed. So although the film was definitely not meant to be a comedy, we had a lot of fun watching it.

When you get to a certain age, mind you, you don't have anything to prove.For people like me, who don't "quite" get plots, I therefore thoroughly recommend watching films in the company of:
a)eccentric friends of a certain age who don't understand any better than you do, and don't get flustered about it,
or b)serious minded youngsters who can and will earnestly explain any plot down to the finest details.

I like films, whether I understand them or not, anyway!

Good night all,

Jocelyne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home