Tuesday, December 14, 2004

One or two things I don't "do"

I don't really "do" misery any more. Used to, don't any more!

And I don't "do" Christmas! I know what it is meant to be, meant to mean, and although I don't subscribe to a Christian faith, I would probably do Christmas more if...

And here come the most predictable comment in the whole universe: if it hadn't become a commercial free for all.

I can agree with wanting to lighten up the winter nights with jolly lights everywhere. I can agree with having a Holy-day to ease up the exhaustion of working during those cold days. I can agree with families getting together in a festive spirit. So, quite a lot I can agree with. But, there is so much else, which I think is sheer collective madness. So many unrealistic expectations which cause so much misery. And I won't "do" collective madness...any more than I "do" misery.

I don't do cards to all the neighbours whom I don't even know, even thought they send them to me. I don't do them to folk I don't care enough to write to regularly, or to folks I speak to or see all the time. I don't "do" Christmas presents except for my 2 year old niece -can't get out of that one, but found a compromise by sending her a token gift and a proper Alternative gift from World Vision's alternative gifts catalogue. And I don't require presents...All my friends, and the very few remaining members of my family are used to it and I'm sure they're secretely pleased to have one fewer thing to think about.

I may make some mince pies (inspired by Jezebel of all's well Jezebel fame http://allswelljezebel.blogspot.com/)

I may yet put last year's lights up if I can find a spare socket in amongst the spaghetti that lives behind the TV...and if the mood takes me.

I have been trying not to bore people with these views, but, well, it's getting so close, I had to come out with it!

Nevertheless, to all of you who are not under a seasonal poor health curfew, or who do enjoy the festivities, as well as to all of us to whom they just do not appeal, best wishes for a good Christmas season!

Love in all seasons,

Jocelyne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home